In the field of construction and manufacture of various industrial objects, the need for equipment for the lifting of extremely heavy objects is highly essential and imperative. Here comes the function of a hoist which is used to lift and lower high mass bodies using various sorts of means. Over the years and time, the variations of hoist have been modified to achieve a better suitable, more convenient and easily operable means for basic and regular use. In the world of technology, an electricity-powered hoist is, of course, a wonderful means of help. The electrically powered hoist can be of two distinctive types either the wire rope hoist or the chain hoist. The chain hoist is one of the most commonly used devices worldwide. Usually, there is a large range of chain hoist available to the buyer to suit their respective and specific need and purpose. Chain hoist operates on a number of small and large sizes of pulleys and the chain forms a loop which eventually and finally lifts the load. While considering investing in a chain hoist it is important to know about its specific functions, uses and versatile features and characteristics to see if it suits your needs and make sure it is a wise and beneficial investment.
The Three Major Variations
Chain hoists are available in three different forms to suit the regular needs of various weight lifting problems.
- The Hand Chain – The most standard and conventional form of chain hoist, is the hand chain hoist which is operated manually. Constructed of steel they are usually spark and rust resistant and have aluminum housings that are portable. Capable of lifting or putting down a weight of more than ten tons, this particular chain hoist has its hand chain loop and chain wheel working as the gear.
- The Lever Ratchet – This sort of chain hoist is used for purposes where mobility is essential. They are portable and can lift up to five ton of mass. The purpose of the ratchet handle is to work as a gear to pull up short load chain and the load is supported by a friction brake.
- The Differential– Differential hoist operates on continuous chain loop and a double chain wheel. They work on a simple mechanism but are comparatively more inconvenient to handle than the other two hoists; only a fraction of the force of the weight of the load is required to lift the load.
Simple and Easy Working Detail
Generally, chain hoists are mechanical devices which work on complicated mechanisms if one wants to know about them in details and have no prior expertise in them. However, for the purchase of chain hoist. it is essential to know about its working in order to be able to identify any problems and for its maintenance. Therefore, a simple and easy solution to know how the range of chain hoist works generally is:
- The usage of gear to multiply and increase its force to lift the weight.
- Operates manually or electrically. For operating manually, an operator needs to pull the light loop of chain. It can be operated through electricity also.
- Therefore, a gear mechanism is initiated inside the chain hoist.
- By turning the pulley, the heavy chain which is connected to the object through a hook is lifted up or down.
- By pulling the loop chain, the force exerted by the heavy chain increases due to the increase in the gear ratio that is inside the chain hoist.
- Lastly, the mechanical work done by the operator or the heavy chain achieves similar results.