The fasteners are used commonly in almost all the industries. The use of aluminium is dominated by the aerospace industry. Even other industries are turning towards this miracle metal as fasteners nowadays. It is considered the best, because it is light but strong. It can be easily fabricated into different extrusions and many other casts. It is resistant to corrosion and can be easily joined by welding. The manufacturers also use adhesive bonding and other mechanical methods. The appearance can be improved if you use aluminium as it has a wide range of attractive finishes. The greatest advantage with aluminium as fastener is that it is a good conductor of electricity. The added quality of this metal is that it can be recycled without losing its quality.
Why Use Titanium Fasteners?
- Titanium is a highly corrosive element hence it is the perfect metal for products in industries like pipes, bolts, sheet and fasteners.
- It is silvery gray in colour and is known to be highly resistant to corrosion. It is one of the few elements that can easily burn in nitrogen or open air.
- It has excellent properties and thus is very much used in industries such as paper pulp, chemical, medical, architecture etc.
- The greatest use of titanium as fasteners is in the aerospace industry, because of being resistant to corrosion. This also helps to reduce the weight of the aircraft.
- The oxide layer that is present in titanium is useful in products like screws and fasteners. They actually have to undergo continuous scratching and the oxide layer is removed after scratching which is the reason that it is used in making these products.
- The metals that are formed in addition with the combination of the oxide layer on fasteners are used as protection from corrosion and improve the durability. The strength of the metal also improves and so the products that are produced are widely used in sports, petrochemical industries etc.
- The weight is more than steel and so it can hold more weight which is beneficial for industrial products.
- The fasteners that is made of titanium is mainly used in race car wheels. This is due to the adherence property and the oxide layer formed on the titanium screws.
- The advantage of using it in industries is because of free maintenance. It is durable and sturdy and can withstand high temperature too. The metal does not harm the human and the animal body because of its nontoxic behaviour.
Importance of Stainless Steel Fasteners:
- The fasteners made of steel are not only corrosion resistant but also have an excellent lifespan. It is environment friendly and is 100% recyclable. The property to being resistant to high heat and cold temperatures make the fasteners as the best material choice for any application.
- Steel that is a low carbon steel contains chromium which gives it anti-corrosion property. Steel as fasteners are resistant to corrosion but is not corrosion proof. So, the material has to be installed correctly.
- It is possible that the surface of steel can be kept clean and free form contaminant. This is the best way to prevent extraneous corrosion. The use of appropriate sealant products while installing steel fasteners is useful to prevent corrosion. These fasteners are in either damp or wet environments.
- Stainless steel is available and categorized in different grades. The difference between them depends upon the hardening of the metal. The removal of iron particles from the surface of steel produces a thin and invisible layer. This will protect the material and create the ability to self-repair.